Thursday 21 July 2011

I took myself off ...

... for a short walk up the towpath ...
 ... and came upon this church - from the towpath it really did look derelict but when I ventured into the churchyard I could see curtains hanging and windows open on the first floor of the tower ...
 ... getting closer it appeared that some windows had been bricked up albeit in the same/similar brick ...
 ... and across a few of the windows on the tower there appeared to be some sort of floor/division.
 On closer examination I could see that the door was open ...
 ... I walked all around first ...
 ... the rest of the building looked fine if in need of a little TLC!
So I went inside expecting to see a deserted place, perhaps in the middle of a conversion to residential.... but ...
 ... inside is was beautiful, light, warm and welcoming with thick carpeting!
 Plenty of stained glass ...
 ... and an very pretty ornate pulpit next to the Lady Chapel
... the alter is set in this lovely curved area.
 Nice arches with sculptures below the wooden ceiling ...
 ... and a spectacular organ.
This is Hungerford's Parish Church of St Lawrence.
I took the pictures on my phone then, because I was having problems uploading them onto the new Apple computer I texted them to George's iphone, then on to the computer to allow me access - not too bad a quality for all that travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment