Tuesday 19 July 2011

Kintbury

Just a short walk while it's not raining ...
Vicarage Bridge from our mooring ...
... and the Old Vicarage on the other side of Vicarage Bridge ...
 ... our mooring also from .... Vicarage Bridge! with Kintbury Lock behind
The new vicarage is called Church House.
 St Mary the Virgin, Kintbury Parish Church
 A church or holy place has been on this site for over 1,000 years
 The stained glass windows ...
 ... are not large ...
 ... but very beautiful ...
this one to the memory of Carolyn Irene Green - The Worth of a Good Woman is Far above Rubies (Proverbs XXX1).
The 19th century ceiling ...
 ... repainted in 1990 ...
 ... and two different types of ceiling decoration in the choir.
 Plenty of illustrious personage ...
 ... commemorated ...
 ... along with ...
 ... their descendants.
 The Lady Chapel contains ...
... many memorials to the Dunn family who served in the Peninsular War
 Brass dedicated to John (died 1624) and Alice Gunter (died 1626)
 A bit of gruesome information - the churchyard contains the grave of one William Winterbourne who was hanged in Reading Gaol for his part in the Agricultural Riots of 1831.

5 comments:

  1. The old Vicargae looks lovely, sure beats Church House hands down! And those windows in the church may not be spectacular but they are pretty nice and probably in keeping with the general tone of the place! It looks like a lovely spot and I seem to remember visiting Kintbury once upon a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just yesterday with Geni.com I determined that John and Alice Gunter are my 12x great-grandparents. Better yet, my niece (also American) is married to an Englishman and with a young daughter and living in Cirencester, where Alice Gunter is apparently buried - my niece's 13x great-grandmother. - Paul Ingram, Mississippi, USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am John's 11x great granddaughter. I would like permission to use your photo of his plaque in an article I have written for the magazine of a local family history society. Would that be OK? Would you like to be credited for it, if so what should I put?
    Thank you, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lynn,
    Thank you for contacting me about your very great ancestors John and Alice Gunter whose plaque I found on a visit to Kintbury Parish Church on the Kennet and Avon Canal way back in 2011 when we were living and cruising on our firs boat - narrowboat Rock 'n' Roll.

    Of course you can use the photo shown in that blog post, I would be most honoured if you could link it back to that blog post -http://nbrocknroll.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/kintbury.html - I don't think that you need to use my name.

    So pleased that I've been able to help you with your family tree and am assuming that you in turn are related to Paul Ingram, Mississippi, USA who also commented on my post on 8th August 2011. Good luck in your endeavours.

    Carol (now cruising and living on a wide boat Still Rockin' if you're interested check out http://wbstillrockin.blogspot.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete