At Acton Trussell that is ...
... views from the windows of Rock n Roll ... St James' Church ...
... and swans and the M6!
Acton Trussell is 2½ miles northeast from Penkridge and 3½ miles southeast from Stafford. It is mentioned in Doomsday:
‘the Bishop of Chester holds Actone (Acton). Robert holds it from him. [... hides] Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1; 10 villagers and 8 smallholders with 4 ploughs. A mill at 2s; meadow, 8 acres; woodland 3 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide. Value before 1066, 5s;
The name Acton is derived from the Saxon words ac-tun meaning ‘oak-tree farmstead.’ In order to eliminate confusion Norman administrators introduced the practice of manorial suffixes, whereby the name of the predominant family was affixed to the common place-name. So by 1481 the settlement was named Acton Trussel after the Trussel family, who are named in manorial records from 1342. In May 1985 the semi hexagonal wing of a Roman villa was discovered south of Acton Trussell.
Ongoing excavations have shown this to be 4th century with 1st century origins.
In 1979 field studies were carried out in the village of Acton Trussell some 5km south of the county town of Stafford, and 8km from Pennocrvcivm. The studies initially prompted by the geographically detached church of St James (see photo), and the possibility of finding evidence of a shifted village, however during field walking a quantity of Romano-British pottery sherds, and two coins, were recovered. The next 4 years were spent trying to locate the source of this material, private flights over the area, and more field walking produced nothing. In 1985, the field to the south, away from the village, was ploughed, field walking not only recovered pottery sherds but also fragments of building materials, it was clear the source was close by, and the church became the center of interest. In May 1985 the semi hexagonal wing of a Roman villa was discovered. the wing protruded from the east side of the churchyard. The excavation has continued and is concentrating on the enclosures and their contents. Only open for visitors on Sundays
... and back to our mooring space opposite the Moat House.