Tuesday 3 September 2013

Flashback to Liverpool’s Catholic Cathedral

Another flashback to July 22nd in Liverpool; we’ve just left the Anglican Cathedral and are walking the half mile to the Catholic one ...
 George can’t leave me at the left luggage that easily!




Passing what would be a beautiful cobbled street with lovely Georgian Terraces - if only it weren’t for those peskily vehicles!













Outside the Philharmonic Hotel and I have to go inside …














… indeed - commissioned around 1898 it is reckoned to be the most ornate pub in England - and I can well believe it - it was beautiful!








 And there we are at  Liverpool’s Metropolitan Cathedral
 Looking back down the half mile of Hope Street to the Anglican Cathedral
 I’ll let the pictures do the talking - click on any of them to enlarge and read ...
 The original plan ...


























No photographs were allowed in Lutyens Crypt but I’ve found some pictures on the internet ...










click here for more pictures and information.
The contrast between the very modern, bright, colourful, amazing space above the crypt is so diametrically different, it was just was huge, cavernous, and awesome but I’m glad it wasn’t built fully I much prefer upstairs.  If you are in Liverpool a visit to both wonderful cathedrals are a must!

No comments:

Post a Comment